Papworth Trials Unit Collaboration (PTUC)
The Papworth Trials Unit Collaboration achieved provisional registration status as a UK CRC Trials Unit Collaboration in 2015 (registration number 60).
If you would like support with the project management of your research then please contact the PTUC team, firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible to discuss how best we can support you.
How can we help you?
We have the infrastructure and expertise to develop, conduct and sponsor the following types of clinical research:
- Drug trials (Clinical Trials of investigational medicinal products - CTIMPs)
- Medical device trials
- Observational studies
- Physiological Research Studies
- Qualitative research
What is our Project Management Service?
Our Project Management Service, available to investigators throughout the UK includes the following:
- Data Management
- Dissemination of Results (writing for publication for publication)
- eCRF design (OpenClinica)
- Grant applications
- Health Economics
- Protocol Design
- Statistics (including analysis)
- Trial Set up
- Trial Closure
What Support is Available for Researchers?
- Details of support for Papworth researchers are available here
- Details of support for non Papworth researchers are available here
Which Clinical Specialties do we work with?
The expertise of the PCTU, as part of the largest cardiothoracic unit in the UK, includes the management of research studies in the following clinical areas:
- Cardiac surgery
- Inflammatory Lung Disease (bronchiectasis, cystic fibrosis)
- Interventional Cardiology
- Pulmonary Hypertension
- Sleep Disordered Breathing
- Thoracic oncology, including Mesothelioma
- Thoracic Surgery
- Transplantation (heart/lung)
- If your clinical specialty is not listed above, please ask us, we are flexible!
What are the benefits of working with a Clinical Trials Unit?
- The NIHR has produced a video highlighting the role that Clinical Trials Units (CTUs) play in developing an NIHR funding application, explaining both the role and benefits of working with CTUs. Watch the video here.
- A podcast featuring Prof Julia Brown, Director of the UKCRC Reg CTUs Network on the value of Clinical Trials Units for the Cochrane Collaboration is available here
Who are we?
- Papworth Hospital’s Trials Unit which was established in 1994 is a long standing collaborations with the Research & Development Department at Papworth Hospital, the MRC Biostatistics Unit, Cambridge and Kings College London.
- The Unit is an integral part of the R&D Department and provides the expertise and infrastructure for the set-up, management and publication of high quality, multi-centre, randomised clinical trials and research studies.
- Our experienced Senior Management Team, under the directorship of Dr Robert Rintoul, includes Dr Vikki Hughes the CTU Operational Manager and Dr Ian Smith the Clinical Director of R&D.
- The CTU has a team of Clinical Project Managers (CPMs) who manage all aspects of a study’s design, set up, conduct and analysis including expertise in grant writing, protocol development, project management, monitoring and audit, and regulatory submissions.
- The CPMs are supported by Database Managers (lead by Jo Steele); Statisticians from Papworth and MRC Biostatistics Unit; Health Economists (lead by Prof Julia Fox-Rushby Kings College London). The CTU also has its own finance and contract service and acces s to copyright and IP advice through a service level agreement with Health Enterprise East.