about the project
The state-of-the-art new Papworth Hospital will offer cutting-edge facilities in a bespoke building on the Cambridge Biomedical Campus.
Our new hospital will have:
- 310 beds, with virtually 100% single rooms
- 46-bed Critical Care Area including Cardiac Recovery Unit and Cardiac High Dependency Unit
- 7 state-of-the-art theatres
- 6 inpatient wards which will have sub-specialties within them
- Centrally-located outpatient unit to incorporate a wide range of diagnostic and treatment facilities
- a 24-bed day ward
We very much believe that what makes Papworth Hospital special is the people - our dedicated and caring teams have ensured thousands of patients have received first-class care and treatment and this legacy will continue within the new Papworth Hospital building, which will enhance their work.
We are proud of our reputation as one of the best performing hospitals in the UK and we achieve some of the best outcomes in the world for our patients.
The £165million project is being funded from private finance and public sector funding. Additionally, a Heart and Lung Research Institute, a joint venture between Papworth Hospital and the University of Cambridge, will be built on the campus adjacent to the new hospital.
Construction started in early 2015 and is progressing well with the new Papworth Hospital is expected to open in 2018. The existing Papworth Hospital will continue to operate 24-hours a day, seven days a week, while the build for the new hospital takes place.